Friday, April 6, 2012

Daddy’s Little Girl, Nola (April 13, 2006)


                  
                    
     My birth and childhood connect me directly with what were to become my two theme songs.  Before I was born, my folks discussed what to name me if I was a girl.  My dad’s name was Don, and my mom wanted to name me Donna after him.  My dad wanted to name me Nola because he loved the song, which had been written in 1915 as a novelty piano solo.  I guess my mom decided if she couldn’t name me after my father, the next best thing was to let him select my name.

     My mother was a wonderful piano player; she took lessons most of her growing years.  She loved to play for my dad, who couldn’t play at all but loved to listen.  She played Nola often to please both Dad and me.  Daddy’s Little Girl, which was written in 1949 when I was six years old, became our second favorite piano song.

     Every time Mom played Nola, I felt very special.  We learned the words to the song, and sometimes we’d sing along while Mom played on our old upright piano in the living room.  On cool winter evenings I would sit in my dad’s lap in his favorite chair, while the fire blazed in the fireplace and Mom tickled the keys to our favorite songs.  A couple of passages that made me feel warm and special, then and even now, are: 

          You are so sweet and you are so neat

          A girl like you I'd never meet

          Just to behold you is a treat that's hard to beat

As we sang along I beamed with pride.  The refrain was very special to me:

          When you're near the birds sing in the trees pretty harmonies

          All the world is humming a melody

    I knew from the time I first heard that song that I wanted to help make the world a place where people would hum happy melodies every day.

     Everyone in the family loved Daddy’s Little Girl except my brother, who preferred Daddy’s Little Boy for obvious reasons.   When I sat in my dad’s lap and he sang Daddy’s Little Girl to me I knew I was loved. 


           A precious gem is what you are,
           You're mommy's bright and shining star.

I could see myself twinkling as we sang along.   

           You're the spirit of Christmas, my star on the tree,
           You're the Easter Bunny to mommy and me;
           You're sugar, you're spice, you're everything nice,
           And you're daddy's little girl.


 I have always loved holidays, especially Christmas, and listening to this song reminds me every holiday just how special and loved the song makes me feel.

     In the late 1970s, on Christmas morning after the children had opened their presents, my husband David said we needed to go for a drive.  We had never gone on a Christmas morning drive before, but he seemed so enthusiastic about it we all hopped into the car and away we went.  We drove to Sacramento and stopped at a private residence I was unfamiliar with.  We went up to the door and rang the bell, and an older couple greeted us and welcomed us into their comfortable home.  They led us to their living room, right to their player piano.  I had taken piano lessons off and on, but couldn’t begin to play like my mother did and I had always wanted a player piano.  The couple told me David had bought the piano for me as a Christmas present.   What a lucky girl I am to have such a wonderful husband!  The couple gave us all the player rolls they had, which included both Nola and Daddy’s Little Girl.  The kids, Great Grandma Jess, who lived with us, and I all loved pedaling that player piano.  I loved to sing along to Daddy’s Little Girl to our two little girls.

     The fire in 1996 destroyed that piano and all the rolls of music; but about six years ago, I found another player piano at a local thrift store.  I raced home and asked my husband if we could get it.  His response was a resounding “Yes, of course!”  When we had our first player piano, we had found a store in Sacramento that sold player piano rolls.  After we got the new piano, David took me to the store and, lucky me, they had both Nola and Daddy’s Little Girl. Those are the two songs I always start playing when I use the player piano.  Playing these songs takes me back to my warm childhood living room.  I can see the beautiful red and golden flames of the fire dancing in our fireplace on a cool winter eve, listening to my mother playing Nola and Daddy’s Little Girl. These songs always bring back those same feelings; they make me feel warm, safe, and very much loved even today.

[Editorial Notes]


NOLA: Originally written in 1915 as a piano piece by composer,

pianist, organist Felix Arndt for his singer-composer wife. The

tune became the theme song of Vincent Lopez & His Orchestra.

 

There are at least two versions to the lyrics:

 

NOLA

(Music: Felix Arndt / Words: James F. Burns)

The Revelers - 1927

 

I realize within your eyes for me there lies a paradise

What other bliss is like a kiss from pretty lips I idolize

You are so sweet and you are so neat

A girl like you I'd never meet

Just to behold you is a treat that's hard to beat



Nothing I do can show how true I am to you, my only one

Cuddle up near and let me hear a word to cheer your lonely one

Your winning style my heart beguiles

For one sweet smile I'd walk a mile

Let me enfold you in my arms awhile



When you're near the birds sing in the trees pretty harmonies

All the world is humming a melody

When away from you I may be straying

Then my heart keeps saying

You're the heart of me, part of me, all of me

Nola, heed and listen while I plead, you're the one I need

Life for me is nothing but misery

Nola, Nola, hear your lonesome lovesick sweetheart calling Nola

 
 
**********
 
 

NOLA

(Music: Felix Arndt / Words: Sunny Skylar)

Billy Williams - 1959

  
 Click here to listen to Nola sung by Billy Williams
 

Nola is like a dream come true, she's sweet and unaffected

Ev'rything Nola seems to do is really unexpected

Nola has twinkling eyes of blue and cherry lips perfected

Ev'rything nice like sugar and spice is Nola



Walking along the thoroughfare, she always draws attention

All of the fellows stop and stare, she's called the fourth dimension

But if they think that she could care, it's mere misapprehension

Wait'll you see the angel and me, it's Nola



On her hand she wears a di'mond ring, mighty pretty thing

I'm the one who saved and bought it

There's a house with roses all around it, awf'ly glad I found it

Lucky I can just afford it



When she's near, the winter turns to spring, bells begin to ring

There's a magic charm about her

She's divine and she's mine all mine

I'm in love, so in love with No-la



Eyes that haunt you lips that taunt you

Kiss that tastes like wine

If you knew her you'd pursue her

But she's mine all mine



Nola is like a dream come true, she's sweet and unaffected

Ev'rything Nola seems to do is really unexpected

Nola has twinkling eyes of blue and cherry lips perfected

Ev'rything nice like sugar and spice is Nola




Daddy's Little Girl

You're the end of the rainbow, my pot of gold,
You're daddy's little girl to have and to hold.
A precious gem is what you are,
You're mommy's bright and shining star.
You're the spirit of Christmas, my star on the tree,
You're the Easter Bunny to mommy and me;
You're sugar, you're spice, you're everything nice,
And you're daddy's little girl.

You're the treasure I cherish, so sparkling and bright;

You were touched by the Holy and beautiful light.
Like angels that sing, a heavenly thing,
And you're daddy's little girl.

No comments: