Sunday, April 1, 2012

Where I'm From (January 6, 2006)



 
I am from Indian, Norwegian, Irish, Scottish, and English heritage. I am a mongrel.

I am from railroad men and lumbermen, housewives, newspaper writers, secretaries, and administrative assistants.

I am from lakes and tree-covered mountains and railroads in Oregon, where it snows; it rains, gentle showers that nourish the flowers, and the wind blows.  It blew us south to California, from the big city San Francisco, to the small town Davis.

I am from the swing in the backyard ash tree, where I sway with the wind and drift into Lullaby land.

I am from scooters, jump ropes, tricycles and bicycles and roller skates,” Ouch,” I broke my arm skating in the kitchen, and knocked out my front teeth with the scooter bar.

I am from jacks, marbles, jungle gyms, slides and hopscotch,” Look out, don’t step on a crack, you’ll break your mother’s back.”

I am from the rainbow, the crayon box, the patch quilt, Christmas lights, and glitter-covered craft projects.

I am from radio, the Lone Ranger rides again, Stella Dallas, the Green Hornet, the Buster Brown Show, Sergeant Preston of the Mounties and his dog King, Let’s Pretend, and Sky King with Penny and Clipper, Fibber McGee and Molly, the Shadow Knows, and Our Hit Parade.

I am from television humor, Lucy, George Burns and Gracie Allen, Bob Hope, Jack Benny, Red Skeleton, Jimmy Durante, Milton Berle, Sid Caeser and Imogene Coca, just to name a few. Also from comics' humor, Dagwood and Blondie, Little Lulu, Nancy and Sluggo, and who could forget Li'l Abner. 

I am from Fantasyland—Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, the magic castle, the e-ticket, the Mouseketeers, and merry-go-rounds. From Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Bambi, the Secret Garden, and the Wizard of Oz.

I am from books, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Little House on the Prairie, Little House in the Big Woods, Nancy Drew, Cherry Ames, Student Nurse, and the Hardy Boys.

I am from the ten-cent musical movies, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, White Christmas and Holiday Inn.
I am from nickel candy bars, and penny candy.

I am from music, piano lessons, organ, and record players, 45’s, 33 1/3s, and 78s. From rag- time, to easy listening, from rock to country.  From Liberace, Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney, and Perry Como, to Elvis and Little Richard, to Johnny Cash and Brenda Lee.

I am from ballet shoes, tap shoes, penny loafers, white bucks, Keds and blue-suede shoes.  From nylons, girdles, cross-your-heart bras, multi-layer petticoats and poodle skirts.

I am from tree-covered mountains and sandy beaches, front porches, vacant lots and alleys.

I am from downtown, Cherry's market, Baglees, State Market, and Purity Market, and I love to visit with Overcoat Sam in front of The Club while Mom shops.  I am from the post office with one window and no line.  Highways, not freeways, and roadside attractions, the Giant Orange, Trees of Mystery, and Dinosaur land.

I am from WWII, ration books for gas, sugar, and tires; we don’t take many trips these days.

I am from Ginny dolls, baby dolls, Little Women dolls, Madam Alexander dolls, and dress up clothes from the roaring twenties.

I am from the Spudnut, the A & W, the Campus Cave, Cozy Corners, Foster Freeze, Rodgers Department store, and the Five and Dime. What fun we had socializing.

I am from my one school field trip to the Wonder Bread Factory; I loved that miniature loaf of bread!

I am from Hospitals, the Infirmary, the ER, ICU, Nursery, Pediatrics, Convalescent Homes, GI Lab, the Orthopedic clinic, Travel clinic, Immunization clinic, Surgery, Recovery room, and Hospice,  where we learn how to live from people who are dying.

I am from dogs and cats, rats and mice, birds, fish turtles and frogs, tarantulas, guinea pigs and hamsters.
I am from family, mom, dad, grandma and grandpas, husband, sons, daughters, grandchildren and in-laws.  What a lot of love!

I am from hand-written poems, typed compositions, e-mails and my favorite computer-composed memoirs class.

No comments: